Eating the props

I immediately can tell when a conceptual assignment is up my alley. So when Runner's World called to commission an image about eating more fish, I knew to set the table. They wanted to see a runner who just bagged a giant fish, like some Acapulco tourist.

March 2011 issue of Runner's World

The trick however was less about how to make a 4 pound fish look like 240, but just where to shoot it. You see, it was December and although we have plenty of seaside-y locations in Chicago, Lake Michigan was frozen. None-the-less my assistant Tim and I geared-up for winter winds and shoved off to the lakefront.

Tim in front of the Columbia Yacht Club.


Frozen Monroe Harbor

We scouted high and low, and after unsuccessful efforts to creatively avoid ice and snow, we strolled out to the Chicago Police Safety Station. There we found the newly renovated "lighthouse" that exuded the cool qualities of coastal Massachusetts. We also discovered one added benefit: the cops keep their water from freezing by bubbling air throughout the entire harbor.

View of the Police Station looking northwest toward downtown.

We shot several frames for where to place our runner who I was shooting the following day in studio. Afterward that day I shopped for the fish. At two different fish markets I bought a beautiful Striped Bass and an New Zealand Snapper, both of which I later ate.

New Zealand Snapper which I filleted badly.

I prepared the Bass with a recipe given to me at the fish market for Salt Baked Fish. It was so fun and easy, and made the greatest fish tacos for 2 days!

Photo editor: Marc Kauffman
Retouching: Paradigm Color
Makeup: Morgan Blaul